Friday, May 6, 2011

Mix Tape Fridays Vol. 11

With summer *my favorite season* fast approaching, I think it's appropriate for a summer/poolside *don't I wish* beachy playlist. It's been close to 2 1/2 years since I went to the beach so I am thinking this weekend maybe time to introduce my favorite beach to Olivia.


Yikes, I look like a giant compared to my tiny Mommy-in-law!!

Shall we begin...?


One of my favorite bands epitomize Rockabilly beach camp, John Waters style from the 60's with a punk twist. I saw them live at Sunset Junction and they were FANTASTIC!! Even with Lux Interior in his 60's he still rocked!



"Aloha From Hell" The Cramps

I am not normally a fan of the Beach Boys but this song is so sweet and cheerful, I often play it in Liv's nursery. I adore the lyrics...it's so true God Only Knows what I'd be without Antz & Liv!!

"God Only Knows" The Beach Boys

The next song somehow puts me in a Summery mood, I can't pinpoint what it is about this song but I love it!

"Goodbye Stranger" Supertramp

This song definitely has a laid-back, drink a margarita, summer sound. We played it at our beach wedding.

"Santeria" Sublime

Here's my summer inspired favorite by Björk. She performed this beautiful song at the 2004 Athens Summer Olympic Opening Ceremony. Her dress folds out to canopy the entire stadium floor and has a map of the world on it. She is so freaking adorable and she sounds incredible!!

"Oceania" Björk

Nothing feels more lazy summer day than French music. It was June 2003 when Antz, Aimee and me went to London and Paris to see Björk so when I hear a French song it takes me back to walking throughout Paris in the warm summer sun. I really hope we can take Liv soon. I am still trying to learn this song in French *I am seriously incapable of learning French*

"Garcon Glacon" April March

The most anticipated random song of the week is courtesy of Mr. Wait's sheer genius. This song doesn't necessarily evoke a summer feeling in me but it's so amazing I have to feature it. I adore the way this song sound like he's telling a story. The old-timey *sorry Antz* rasp of his voice drives me nuts. There are many versions of this song but this live one from the Glitter & Dome tour and the photos of Tom are soo phenomenal!! I find it surreal that my Mom played with Tom on Romeo is Bleeding back in 1978 *I already asked her if she can get in touch with him so I could meet him, she told me she's no longer associated with Hollywood, BOO* I want to see him live sooo dang-diddlely bad!!

"Circus" Tom Waits


This band was a major part of my childhood. I went through a huge phase where they were all I ever listened to. I was completely crushed when my Mom wouldn't allow me to see them live however I was 12 at the time and they were playing in San Francisco *Just a quick 8 hour drive up north, Mom!* One of these days I'll drag Liv to see them while failing at showing her how cool and hip her Mom is!

"Dry County" B-52s


The next 2 songs are all-time favorites of mine. No summer playlist would be complete without the fabulous Astrud Gilberto *The queen of Samba/Bossa Nova* I know it's cliche but I adore this song, it's just rad!
I LOVE the 60's!! Soo my favorite time in history. Astrud is just way adorable.

"The Girl from Ipanema" Astrud Gilberto & Stan Getz

The next is Astrud's ex-husband, João's, daughter, Bebel Gilberto. She is brilliant! I first heard her when I saw Closer and I immediately went home and downloaded this song. It's so dreamy.

"Samba Da Bencao" Bebel Gilberto

Happy Friday and enjoy your *hopefully* sunny Mommy's Day weekend!!

No comments: