Saturday, February 15, 2014

My DIY Midi skirt

I mentioned here all about my love affair with midi length skirts/dresses. You see, they are perfection for me, I am a giant. Someone of my stature can always use more length yet a maxi dress looks like I'm swimming in fabric *ie:a tent* Midi is in between your knees and your shins. Finally I won't feel like I'm wearing a mini skirt all the time. So, I am doing my daily online window shopping and I stumble upon a midi skirt at ASOS.

Image 4 of Love Midi Skater Skirt


Everything fell into place, right fabric, right cut, right price *ASOS is always having a sale*, I put this guy right into my shopping cart. Then I looked in my closet and saw a sea of black skirts of various lengths *pencil skirt, maxi skirt, mini skirt...* We're right around the corner from spring and I'm gonna buy another boring black skirt? I decided I needed something bright and cheery to add to my wardrobe. Ideally I've been wanting this lovely skirt for years but I haven't found one in my price range *the one pictured was $200*

Stockholm Street Style
Image from Carolines Mode

I love this yellow Gorman skirt *yeah, I love how blindingly yellow it is*

http://www.gormanshop.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/g/g/ggfb911109f_to_change.jpg
Gorman Mellow Yellow skirt

Guess who's out of stock? Bleh.

So I decided to make lemonade out of lemons. Why not use my dust-collecting Hello Kitty sewing machine to make my own skirt? I can custom tailor it and save major buckaroos at the same. I enlisted my amazing seamstress Mommy-in-law to help me out.

Plenty of yellows to choose from
Two yards for ten bucks? Yes, please!
This was my first time using a pattern
Awww yeah, POCKETS ARE MY JAM!! *but very fucking hard to sew!*
Trying out my pleats
It was tricky but I had tons of help, thanks Mommy! Also, thanks to Gorman for the inspiration of the design and color we used. I am so giddy that a skirt I was ready to pay $169 for, we made with our own hands for $20!! You obviously got a peek of it yesterday, but here she is again.

R A D N E S S

I know I hated on roses last week but these guys matched my skirt so well and peonies aren't in season yet

By the way, did you notice my lavender hair?


There's no way I was gonna bleach my chemically straightened hair, so here's my trick.

I wanted a silvery lavender color *definitely not grape* so I used Matrix SoColor 3VR
I bought white hair extensions, sewed some hair clips on the track and colored it myself.
I'll take more photos of my hair this three-day weekend!

No comments: