Friday, September 24, 2010

Mix Tape Fridays Vol. 1

Welcome to my first Mix Tape Friday. I feel like Flight of the Concords because I am proud *actually honored* to say I have 5 followers, I started this blog to amuse myself and was too lazy to keep up my journals so having an actual audience makes me estatic. I am new at this so please be gentle. I *borrowed* this awesome idea from the lovely Maggie over at Mighty Girl and since there are about 2,000 songs on my ipod, I think I can share a tune or two with the world. I will add this disclaimer, I listen to Björk ALOT! I also fall in love with a song and wear it out until I feel sick when I hear it. Deep breath, here we go...

Let's start things off nice & slow

"Play With Fire" The Rolling Stones

I never was a big Rolling Stones fan but they have been featured in a bunch of Wes Anderson films *I Love Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, The Life Aqautic with Steve Zissou, The Darjeeling Limited & Fantastic Mr. Fox* so it really turned me on them.

As I mentioned before, I spend quite alot of time at Anthropologie so this next song was playing there recently and Antz and I stopped in our tracks because we knew we had heard it before but couldn't put our finger on who it was. I tried several times to Shazam it unsuccessfully but the next day Antz was like I KNOW WHO IT IS!! It was more than obvious, she is one of my favorite singers. *a clear case of song overkill but I haven't gotten sick of it, yet!*

"Somewhere up Above" April March

Nice huh? So the next track is an oldie of mine of you will be pleased to know it's the only Björk song of the day, but theres nothing wrong with some Björk, she's lovely!

"I See Who You Are" Björk

I admit, we are both weirdos and awkward, I LOVE IT!!

I need to get this mix rockin' so the next song is 80's rock which I require a healthy daily dose of so enjoy!

"Hong Kong Garden" Siouxsie and the Banshees

I adore Marie Antoinette and the fact the Sofia Coppola is clever enough to insert awesome 80's music into an 18th century waltz scene makes me want to become a director *for a day*

While we are on a Marie Antoinette soundtrack roll, let's keep em coming

"I Want Candy" Bow Wow Wow

Why can't this be my life? I love the over-indulgence, the color palette and the opulence! Oh wait, does that mean I have to have my head chopped off? I'll pass

This next tune is in serious rotation on my iphone, in Liv's nursery and in my car and yet I never get enough of this band.

"Caring is Creepy" The Shins

The next one is my MAN! I never get sick of his raspy voice. When I hear him I want to fly to New Orleans and drink whiskey sours in a dark bar on Bourbon Street. Just pure radness!

"Watch Her Disappear" Tom Waits

Next is one of the MANY awesome folk bands that rock my life, they are super amazing and I am dying to see them live *although it would be stellar to see them in Europe* particularly Scotland {where they are from}

"Is it Wicked Not to Care" Belle & Sebastian

Here is this week's random song. I believe the power of a great mix tape relies in one random song that may not be a favorite but it makes you smile in a classic Norman Fell sort of way.

"Movin' Right Along" The Muppets *Kermit & Fozzie Bear*

Lastly, I have been adoring this song. It's a cover of the Postal Service *band crush* but nicely done.

"Such Great Heights" Iron & Wine

I just realized this week has been pretty mellow but I promise to amp it up next Friday. Thanks for playing.

3 comments:

Leeann B. said...

I'm proud to say I come check out your blog pretty much every day.. Your blog is so interesting to read and the things you do inspire me to get out there & do stuff! (Like starting a blog of my own!) Unfortunately, I don't have any readers really or followers at all.. How long did it take for you to have people finally show some interest in what you had to say??

sunkissis said...

Oh Lovely Leeann,
Your comments make me so happy!! Well I think it all started with a rug, our nursery rug I bought from Anthropologie was the first thing I was really excited to blog about. When we spent 5 months working on the nursery it gave me a reason to update my blog daily. I loved showing off the progress that it motivated me to get things done *I have a serious case of the lazies* so starting projects and blogging about them will get other people inspired to Do-It-Theirselves. My next big job is repairing and getting our house ready to put on the market. I'm so glad you're blogging because even if you don't have any *followers* now, soon you'll have faithful readers itching for new posts *like I do from my fave bloggers*
Happy, Happy,
Lizzie

Leeann B. said...

Lizzie,
I'm glad my comments make you happy! I just thought you should know that you're doing a good job! And what you said makes a lot of sense about doing a project. Right now it seems like I have a bunch of projects or lists of things I need or want to get for the house or for Lily (I see your daughter's middle name is my daughter's first! how cute!!) But one big (in my opinion) project I wanna at least START is a scrapbook for my daughter. I'd love to do sort of like what Julie did in Julie & Julia (dunno if you've seen it..) but, there's no particular cookbook or cook that I'm that crazy over like she was. Decisions, decisions....